Calcium is an essential mineral that keeps our bones and teeth healthy. It prevents and fights tooth decay. It also works to maintain our muscles, nervous system, cardiovascular health and circulatory system. It is important to get enough calcium in your diet to maintain a healthy body and strong bones. Here are simple ways to increase calcium daily.
1. Swiss cheese, American cheese, provolone cheese and cheddar cheese are all high in calcium. Add a slice of any one of these cheeses to your sandwiches, or melt on English muffins, toast or bagels.
2. Sprinkle Parmesan or Romano cheese on salads, vegetables andeven soups. They are also rich in calcium.
3. Add 1-3 tbsp of nonfat dry milk to hot cereals, oatmeal, pancakes, baking cookies, casseroles, stews, meat loaf and mashed potatoes.
4. Choose frozen yogurt, ice milk or puddings made with low fat or skim milk for dessert.
5. Use tofu instead of beef or chicken in stir-fry recipes or consider using tofu in salads or soups.
6. Usegreen leafy vegetables like broccoli, collards, bok choy, kale, spinach or turnip greens, packaged salads. They are high in calcium.
7. Use nonfat plain yogurt without aspartame or sucralose instead of mayonnaise or sour cream in your recipe.
8. Have a glass of skim milk, rice milk or soy milk or use it with your cereal or in smoothies or shakes.
9. Almonds is a great source of calcium. You can use silvered or sliced almonds on your salads, smoothies, pancakes and when baking OR just eat a handful of almonds frequently.
10. Use sardines and pink salmon which provide the body with calcium.
11. Take a Calcium supplement. This can be purchased at health food stores and the supermarket.